How can you remove Cryptowall from your computer?
Also known as ransomware, Cryptowall is basically a computer virus that infects almost all computers running Windows OS, starting from Windows XP. What this malware actually does is run a program called Cryptowall Decrypter, which in turn, returns the control to all of your encrypted files and data.
On every Windows boot-up, Cryptowall executes some malicious codes that alters the registry and also changes the files on your computer like your programs, documents, images and other vital data. Now, the infected files may not execute at all and some error message will be displayed to you. It shall ask you to make some payments to get the key to decrypt your files back to its original form. As you can see now, Crytowall virus is designed to steal money from users.
So now you must be thinking how cryptowall removal by precise security can be done?
By downloading and installing the removal tool
Start off first by rebooting your computer in safe mode. Make sure that no external devices such as CDs, USB or floppy drives are connected to the computer. Windows XP, Vista and 7 can start their computers in safe mode by pressing F8 before windows begins to load.
Windows 8 users can follow the mentioned steps:
- Press Shift and F8 before windows begin to load.
- Then click on “See advanced repair options” followed by “troubleshoot” option and then finally “advanced options” from the list that appears.
- Now select “windows Startup Settings” and then restart. Now, you shall be redirected to an “Advanced Boot options”.
- Now click on “Safe Mode with Networking”.
Now that your computer has booted into Safe Mode, download the Removal Tool by clicking on this link http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools-resources/adware-tools/malwarebytes-anti-malware and then saving it on your computer.
Now install the application. If Windows’ User Account Control interrupts you at this point and asks for permission, allow it and continue to install the program.
Proceed with default configurations and continue installing it. However, remember to check mark the prompt that states the software will run and update itself. Finally click on Finish.
After installation, if you see a prompt to download the update before scanning, just do the needful.
After the updating process is completed, the tool shall run. Now click on the option “Perform Full Scan” to scan your computer thoroughly.
After scanning is completed, click on “Show Results”. Now tick all the detected threats and then Click on “Remove Selected”. This option shall remove all the files and registry entries that are associated with Cryptowall.
Lastly, restart your computer.
How can you ensure that no more files of Cryptowall exist on your computer?
To ensure this, follow the mentioned steps:
- Download Norton Power Eraser from the official site and save it in your machine. (https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?)
- Now launch the application and accept the End User License Agreement.
- Select Advanced option on the NPE main window and in the next window that appears, click on “System Scan” followed by “Scan Now”.
- Now the NPE will scan your computer for all the malicious content including Cryptowall.
- After completion of the scanning procedure, delete the detected risks and restart your computer.